Friday, October 3, 2008


I have a very strong LOVE and hate relationship with the season of fall. I love the meaning of fall, it's my favorite time of year, but I know that it leads to winter—which is too long for me in the state of Michigan. I wish we could go from spring, to summer, into fall, a few days of snow for Christmas day, and then rinse and repeat. Wouldn’t that be the best! For as much as I love to have the down time during the winter months, and safe haven for adding on a few extra pounds without apologizing, I really hate how long our winters tend to be. But there is nothing like watching the four seasons, sometimes gently and sometimes in great force, roll in and out each year.

What’s not to like about the fall? Halloween is in it, my favorite. I can hike and ride my horse through the most picturesque pop of colors that nature gives to us for free and there are no bugs that are trying to suck the last drop of blood from my body. Sounds like Heaven on Earth to me! If I haven’t convinced you yet, well what about…

Apple Orchards? You know the place where you take your kids to go hunting for the Next Great Pumpkin, to get buzzed on unlimited amount apple cider and hot donuts, and to allow your children to pet every last lama in the pen, chicken in the coop, and pig in the mug trough because it’s much easier to clean off the dirt they acquire than it is to quiet a screaming kid from not getting slimmed by the usual barn mates housed at the farm.

And don’t let me forget about the apples…you know the ones that help keep the doctor away! Can I tell him I’ve eaten one everyday and yet I’m still sitting in his office with a red nose like Rudolph? I guess not, but it’s all apart of the season of fun, beauty, eeriness, and unlimited amounts of adventures that can take place in such a short period of time.

So I’m off to find the Winesap apples for the apple pie I need to make and to see if I can scare any of those kids that are in my way of the perfect pumpkin to carve this Spooktacular All Hollow’s Eve!

© Copyright 2008 Kathryn Frank (aka Kathryn Katz/Tigerblossom) (tigerblossom@yahoo.com or tigerblossom31@gmail.com or Kathryn_katz31@yahoo.com) Kathryn Frank has granted Blogger.com, its afflitiates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.


No comments: